PolicyLink is a national research and action institute advancing economic and social equity by Lifting Up What Works®. PolicyLink collaborates with a broad range of partners to implement strategies to ensure that everyone—including those from low-income communities of color—can contribute to and benefit from economic growth and prosperity. PolicyLink operates a summer internship program for continuing graduate students (master’s or doctoral) in public policy, urban planning, and related fields. Internships are paid and the duration is generally 10 weeks. PolicyLink occasionally hosts interns during the academic year, depending on project needs and student interest.
Each intern is responsible for developing one significant written product or several shorter products over the summer that contributes to a specific PolicyLink effort to advance equitable policy change. Products may include reports for public release (or components of reports), web-based tools, internal research or policy memos, case studies, literature reviews, opinion pieces, or blog posts. Interns are expected to carry out a research plan developed by their supervisor that will include gathering and analyzing qualitative and/or quantitative data. Interns typically conduct interviews, literature reviews, and web-based searches to gather information on equity challenges and promising programmatic and policy solutions. Sometimes they conduct quantitative data analyses or spatial analyses using GIS mapping software. Interns work under the direct supervision of a senior staff member or the principal researcher or coordinator of a project. Summer internship projects may be tailored to the specific interests of the intern provided that they match the needs of existing project areas. At the end of the summer, each intern gives a presentation on his or her work to the PolicyLink staff.
Continuing graduate student in public policy, urban planning, public health, economics, sociology, or related fields. The following is a list of general qualifications; specific qualifications will be described for each internship job description.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative research, as well as the ability to organize and communicate research findings.
- Commitment to economic and social equity issues.
- Policy/advocacy experience.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Extensive computer skills.
- Good team player.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment.
PolicyLink is committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff and a welcoming workplace.
Requirements: Summer internships are full-time, compensated, and generally last 10 weeks. Each intern will be expected to complete a final report and make a final presentation to staff.
Application Process: Candidates may apply to up to two internships. Separate applications should be sent to each position but the candidate should indicate that they have applied to two positions in their cover letter.
Applicants should submit a résumé, cover letter, and a list of three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include in subject line: “Your Name – Specific Internship Name.”
We encourage you to submit the application components in a single document if possible (rather than three separate files) so we can print double-sided and save paper. Interviews will take place during the month of March. Applicants will be contacted by telephone to schedule an interview that will take place in person or over the telephone. Candidates not selected for interviews will be notified by email in early April. PolicyLink is committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff and a welcoming workplace.
Summer 2014 Internship Opportunities:
- Advocacy Communications Intern: Photojournalist (New York, NY)
- Advocacy Communications Intern: Storyteller (New York, NY)
- Arts, Culture, and Creative Placemaking Intern (Oakland, CA)
- Asset-Building Intern (Oakland, CA)
- Equitable Economy Data and Indicators Intern (Oakland, CA)
- Equitable Economy Policy Intern (Oakland, CA)
- Equity Summit 2015 Intern (Oakland, CA)
- Fund Development Intern (Oakland, CA)
- Health Equity Intern (Oakland, CA)
- Inclusive Governance Intern (Oakland, CA)