The NYC Compost Project hosted by the Lower East Side Ecology Center seeks an enthusiastic individual with compost and outreach experience for a full-time Organics Recovery Coordinator.
The NYC Compost Project, created by the NYC Department of Sanitation (DSNY) in 1993, works to reduce waste in NYC and rebuild NYC’s soil by providing New Yorkers with the knowledge, skills, and opportunities they need to produce and use compost locally. NYC Compost Project programs and staff are funded and managed through the DSNY Bureau of Recycling and Sustainability (BRS) in partnership with host institutions.
The Lower East Side Ecology Center (LESEC) offers free public compost collection and education, electronic waste recycling, stewardship of public open space, and environmental education. Our programs focus on offering opportunities for all New Yorkers to learn about environmental issues facing NYC and to take responsibility for solving those problems.
The Organics Recovery Coordinator is employed by the Ecology Center and is managed by the Compost Project Manager. This position is primarily responsible for staffing food scrap drop-off sites in diverse Manhattan
neighborhoods and processing the incoming materials. This person will also help conduct outreach in the target neighborhoods to increase participation in the food scrap drop-off program and work as part of a team to distribute
finished compost to greening organizations and stewardship activities such as street tree care.
• Staff and manage public food scrap drop-off sites and act as an overall ambassador of the NYC Compost Project
• Track program growth and key data, including participation, amounts of material collected, processed, and
distributed. Complete all program reports as needed.
• Participate in the processing of the collected organic material at East River Compost Yard. Follow best practices
in urban composting operations to produce high-quality finished material.
• Grow residential participation in the program through outreach activities
• Distribute finished compost to greening initiatives and volunteer organizations
• Perform additional duties as determined by the Ecology Center and by BRS
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work with the public, alone and in a team, in a variety of settings
• Ability to lift at least 50 pounds and to perform physically strenuous tasks
• Willingness to work outdoors in all seasons and on weekends as needed
• Knowledge of and commitment to composting
• Valid drivers license, experience driving a box truck and front end loader preferred
• Bilingual skills preferred but not required
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree preferred (ideally, in a related field)
• Experience with diverse computer applications (Excel, MS Word, PowerPoint, GoogleDocs)
• Minimum one year of related work experience
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 20, 2017. No
phone calls please.
For more information about the NYC Compost Project please visit: www.nyc.gov/compostproject